So I found this recipe online where the title was “This is not the best cake in the world. This is just a tribute”. I made it and well, I really liked it. I’m not sure who the author of the recipe is but if they are found they are owed a solid pat on the back.
It tastes a bit like a Jaffa Cake but huge and way more Chocolate-y.
So get ready for this one, it is pretty darn awesome.
1 Cup white sugar
1/2 Cup soft butter
1 Large Orange
1 Cup chopped Dates
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of Salt
2 Cups of Gluten free or regular flour
1/2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 3/4 cup of water
1/2 Cup heavy cream
1 1/2 Blocks of chocolate. (Basically a supersize bar with big squares)
Pre-Heat your oven to 160C…
1. Cream together the Sugar and butter
2. Add in the eggs, mixing in one at a time
3. Blend the Orange (the whole thing) and the dates up in a food processor then add it to the creamed mixture along with the vanilla and salt.
4. Stir in the flour and the dissolved baking soda water
5. Pour the batter in to a cake pan and even it out
6. Push in the blocks of chocolate all around the cake, spread out fairly evenly. Save a few blocks to make a topping if desired.
7. Smooth the mix over the top of the chocolate
8. Bake for 45 minutes (there-abouts – a little gooey is fine.)
I do this with a mix of white and dark chocolate personally but just some of your bar works fine.
In a double boiler (or bowl on a pan of water) melt the chocolate with the cream. Once smooth pour it over the cake and let it cool.
Intensely chocolatey and with a taste of orange this thing is just… wow man. wow.