Apple Caramel Yorkshire Puddings
I used to put syrup on my Yorkshire pudding when I was growing up. I have to do it in secret now as my family thinks it’s gross usually. However I was sitting at work and talking about food and yorkies and the like, and this idea came to me. What if you put a Yorkshire pudding as the basis for a dessert? Hmm….
So what follows is my idea from last night come to reality…
Get out your muffin pan. Put a small blob of butter in each pot and then a tsp of sunflower oil. Preheat the oven to 220C with the pan in it. You’ll hear it heat up and start ‘popping’. That’s when you want to put the pudding mix in.
140g Gluten free or regular flour (I used GF brown bread)
Mix it all together till it’s smooth, then pour it in to the muffin pots with the oil and butter being quite hot.
Bake that for about 15-20 min or until the tops are nice and golden brown. Take them out of the oven and let them cool for a minute or two. If you need to, just use a big spoon to scoop them out of there when they are done.
Apple Caramel Sauce:
2 Granny Smith apples (big ones)
2 tbsp Soured Cream
5 tbsp honey
1/2 – 3/4 of a cup of Dark brown sugar
2 tbsp corn flour
1. Get a pot out and warm it up on medium heat.
2. Chop the apples up in to small bits, not finely diced but small
3. Toss the apples in the pan and let them start to warm up, stir them around so they don’t brown
4. Add the Soured Cream and stir
5. Add the honey and stir
6. Add the brown sugar and stir
7. Keep stirring. It will be liquidy at this point as the honey melts with the sugar and cream and you just want to keep it all warm and moving. Let it rest for 30 seconds or so then stir again and keep going like this till the apples start to soften.
8. When the appples have softened up toss in the first tbsp of cornflour. This will thicken it up and start the carmalising process. Slightly increase the heat as needed to get it bubbling but NOT boiling. Just bubbling…
9. That other tbsp of cornflour… You might need it, you might not. It’s all about how thick the mix in the pan is now. But all of a sudden like this is going to go thick. When it does. Take it off the heat and set it aside.
Now it’s all about the combination. Pudding, Sauce, Ice cream and Belly.